- Water plantings, especially new ones, thoroughly before ground freezes.
- Protect plants from rodents and rabbits with hardware cloth, or animal repellent spray such as Natures Mace (can be purchased at Heritage Hill Nursery).
- Plants especially favored by rabbits include: Burning Bush, Japanese Maple, and Clethra.
- Wrap young and thin bark trees to protect from sun scald and animal damage (rabbits love fruit trees) but remember to remove in spring.
- As the weather turns colder, begin dormant pruning of ornamentals. If you’re unsure what, when or how to prune, stop at our nursery and ask for a pruning guide.