Prepping Your Lawn In April
This is a busy month – there is so much to do! Below are some tips to get your lawn off to a great new start!
- If you couldn’t rake the lawn at the end of last month, due to the weather, rake the grass as soon as the soil is fairly dry.
- When the soil is completely dry, and raking has been done, thoroughly water areas of grass that were subject to deicing salt. Irrigating now will flush the leftover salts into the soil and help to reduce damage.
- When your lawn is healthy and properly maintained, you shouldn’t have enough weeds to require chemical treatment. If you have a persistent problem with crabgrass that you cannot control through cultural methods or spot treatment during the growing season, you can apply a crabgrass pre-emergent herbicide.
This must be applied before the soil temperatures are consistently 53-56* F. Generally, this will be May 1-15. If broadleaf weeds are a problem, apply a selective, post emergent herbicide such as Weed-B-Gone, following the directions on the label. ** Not comfortable handling chemicals? That’s okay, Heritage Hill Nursery is licensed and can handle all your chemical needs. Contact Jason at #262-305-404 for a quote.
- Late April through May is typically a good time to plant new or repair damage areas of lawn. Most grass varieties can handle the cooler wet temperatures of spring however, wait until early to mid-May for Bluegrass.
- Newly seeded areas will need to be kept moist, but not over drenched causing seed displacement
- When mowing, only one -third of the leaf area should be removed at one cutting.Ideally you should avoid mowing any lower than 2 inches, preferably 3 inches as taller grass forms a deeper root system. Grass with deeper root systems are stronger and can fight off diseases, insects and weeds easier than poorly rooted grass systems. However, frequent cutting will be required during the wetter months.
Questions about planting, feeding and watering? Take advantage of our knowledgeable horticulturist & owner, Jason. He is here to help you make good decisions on what will work best and how to properly tend to your new plantings. Visit the Heritage Hill Nursery and garden center now! We are conveniently located, close to Cedarburg, Jackson, West Bend, Slinger, WI.
Above information courtesy Melinda Myers books on lawn and gardens. Specifically:
** Month-by-Month Gardening: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year / Minnesota & Wisconsin
** Month-by-Month Gardening in Wisconsin: Revised Edition: What to Do Each Month to Have a Beautiful Garden All Year
** Midwest Gardener’s Handbook: Your Complete Guide: Select-Plan-Plant-Maintain-Problem solve- Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
Don’t forget! Take advantage of our
April Special Offers!
[coupon couponid=”589″ coupon_align=”cctor_aligncenter” name=”April 2018 Specials”]
Visit our Special Page for more offers!